Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Sports and Business


Before I begin, I'd like to acknowledge the Boston marathon bombing. I have been reading up on it to figure out who's responsible and understand the consequences of such an event. It's important for most of us to not only mourn for an even such as this, but most importantly be aware that "Freedom isn't free". There's no other country I'd rather be in. There's a lot wrong with this country right now and it is our duty as citizens to contribute, look out for each other. Be informed. Pay attention to the signs. Again, my condolences go out to the ones harmed most by this event.

It's April 16th and I am still without a job, but today's blog will be filled with optimism.

I have two "Pre-liminary" interviews this week. The positive side of this is that I am still getting interviews. I have also decided to join the Meet-up groups for active 20's and 30's in Napa Valley as well as socialize with the locals at the Alston Dog park in Napa. It's strange, but I feel like I'm starting to like this place. I've joined my church choir and take up golfing again.

I haven't golfed for two years due to school. Golf is a peaceful sport and a good skill to have for a business career. Quite a bit of business can happen on the golf course and has happened for many business men before. I went to the local driving range and found myself remember the few lessons I took years ago on how to swing nine-iron and the Driver. I managed to shoot 150 yards, 100 yards, and most of them ended up in the pond. SCORE!!! I was terrible, but none-the-less I have felt the need to brush up.

In addition to golf, I have also decided to start reading up on the sports page.

I said earlier that I have two preliminary interviews coming up. Preliminary meaning a casual lunch and dinner event to decide whether I would be worthy of receiving an interview. The recruiter said I would be interacting with the executives of the company and they would ultimately decide whether I would get an interview or not. Seems legit. I think social events bring out a different side of people. Hopefully for me, it's the better side.

In my recent experiences, numerous companies have asked me, "Do you follow sports? Do you play sports? Do you play basketball? (because I'm tall)". If you know me, I'm not a big sports guy. I enjoy playing softball and watching a little football and basketball during the play-offs, but I've never actually followed it too closely. When it comes to talking about sports it's always been my weakness.

So I've decided to follow sports as well as current events in order to participate in my career. It's a challenge, but I enjoy a good challenge. Sports are big in America. It's big in business, especially in the work place. It's a conversation topic fit for small talk that won't be insulting to anybody, except anyone who might follow it religiously.  I've learned the San Francisco Giants fans do not like Los Anglese Dodger's fans. Nonetheless, I think I might use this to make a funny conversation.

California Sports Updates for conversation? Kobe Bryant on the Lakers is injured, Golden State Warriors have lost to the Lakers recently even though they are highly ranked, The SF Giants Beat the Cubs 10-7, (not to be confused with the New York Giants). Any other news would be appreciated, Thank You.


No comments:

Post a Comment