Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Patience and Being the Best


Usual morning, as I woke up, applied for jobs, on indeed.com. Today I decided to sort the search by most recent post date, and the San Francisco Bay Area. I plan to go look on LinkedIn next, whoopee. Click here, Click there, insert here, attach here. You ever notice how some companies make you apply directly on their website and others make it easier for you by just allowing you to insert a resume.

I'm thinking why all the trouble? I am unemployed here, and I have only so much time to apply to so many companies each day.  You want me to make a username and password, when we know I'm not going to check on your website again. You're going to call me if you think I'm good for the job. Better yet, you're going to call me if someone you know refers me. Anyhow, it does make me want to only apply for positions I really want. I guess that's what the company is filtering for. But don't they know that just because I go through all that does not mean I will take the job if it's offered?

You shouldn't need to figure out whether people want to work for you, you should already know that, by what you do. If I thought I was a great company I wouldn't need to test the world. It would just go without saying. It's like products that have that "GUARANTEE" sticker. To me the GUARANTEE sticker might as well say, "Hey we are going to have problems, but we'll fix it (Smiley Face at the end)".

When I was in high school in my car obsession phase, I remember seeing an advertisement by GM and Hyundai offering 100,000 mile power train warranties. Back then I thought, wow, these companies weren't always known for reliability, but now there basically guaranteeing it. Toyota and Honda only guaranteed 36,000 miles. I thought everyone would buy into this, after all 100,000 miles is a longer ownership experience.  But then as time went by GM and Hyundai still didn't have the reliability that Toyota and Honda were known for. I had friends and read reviews that said, "Yeah, whenever my car breaks down I just bring it and they repair it for free". And I say, "How long do you have to wait? Isn't it inconvenient to have the car fixed at all". Meanwhile my Honda is just fine. Yet it no longer has guarantee.

So the moral here is that if you're truly the best and you know it, then you wouldn't have to prove it to anyone or have anyone prove it to you, right? If you have full faith in what you do, why do you need to prove it to anybody? Simply this, faith can't be seen or measured by anyone. And no one trust anybody anymore. That's the problem.

Few people have the patience to spend time and truly get to know someone. Most importantly, no one spends the time to get to know themselves. I sometimes feel like some people exist, just to exist. We go through the motions of life. Get a nice paying job, get married, get a house, start a family. That's that. I would know. I've been guilty of it at one time or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment