Friday, March 29, 2013

Trust your intuition for commitment without passion is empty



"For the sake of the blog, I hope there is a happy ending"
                                                                            - Blog Reader

Now there's an interesting thought. I received this quote from a friend the other day and it really got me thinking. Ending? Happy? What is that? If anything, in all of this I felt I haven't even begun. I know he meant the blog. The blog is about the transition phase, and the phase between graduating from college and starting my first job. How do you define a happy ending? I started to think about my most recent interview. If I got that job, would I really enjoy it. Everyone always talks about a start. Oh just get a job. Get experience. It's a start. Something about this quote seemed unfitting to me.

Yesterday, instead of do the same old bit and applying for jobs, I decided to do some "soul searching". I drafted a paper about what I thought would be the perfect job. One where my personality fits, and one that I would "happy" to start at. Turns out the job didn't need any specific type of degree. At least it didn't need the degree that I had. My dream job was communication-based: relationship-building, networking of the sorts, meeting clients. I went through college with the mind set "get a job, get experience, get a start", and it didn't get me anywhere. 

I've had three internships, had a job offer when I graduated, a plethora of interviews. I've made the mistake of thinking that you might "pretend" to be a certain person to get the job. I had the opportunity to "get my foot in the door". But I turned it down. Why did I turn it down? During all of my years in college I always had an intuition buried deep within my soul, that it was all counter productive. 

In a recent development, I have realized I spent my life listening to the advice of other people, but never truly listened to myself. I just didn't want to be those guys that listened to themselves and regret it later. I didn't want to be a quitter. I stayed committed to something that I was always unsure of. People told me to stick to it. I always did this with hopes that it would pay off later. Yet I never thought It would be the other way around. Commitment without passion was empty. 

I've had 5 interviews in Northern California, 3 of them in San Francisco. Today I received a call from a recruiter about my most recent interview. Turns out....I...didn't get the job. Surprise! Surprise! But strangely enough, I was glad. For the first time, I think I know exactly what I want to do.

1 comment:

  1. It's good to see that your writing is improving even in the short time that you have been running this blog. Still much to learn, as any writer has, yet an effective use of your time. Props to you.
    -Q

    ReplyDelete