Monday, March 25, 2013

Taking risks and getting serious about your job search

It's Monday afternoon, and I have been searching and applying for jobs all morning. I started out by using indeed, and then I went on to use Linkedin. I have only started searching for jobs using Linked in for a month. I figured indeed captures most of the jobs, but then I remembered that Linkedin would show jobs that you might have connections too.

In today's search I started out looking for jobs close to the San Francisco area, looked at jobs in other states, and signed up for Linkedin's Jobseeker Premium. Chicago seems to have quite a few postings, so I applied there. I am always a little hesitant when it comes to applying for jobs outside of my area, because in my experience, I have never gotten a call for an out-of-state job, let alone few calls outside of my general area.

When I was in Texas for example I received most calls in the Austin and Houston Area. It's only when I moved to Napa, that I started receiving calls for the San Francisco Area. The search is difficult, but the reward of living and working in San Francisco or Silicon Valley is definitely going to be worth it. The way I figure it, is the older you get the harder it will be to take risks like the one I'm taking right now.

A lot of people probably wouldn't make this move as a graduate, but I had this feeling if I stayed in Austin, where I actually received a job offer, I would always wonder if I could've moved out here and got a job. I also heard that some people become complacent and end up staying in places for 5-10 years at a time before moving to the place they want to be. I'm not going to let that happen. I'm not some small town boy afraid to leave all that he knows to explore the world. I have an opportunity. I'm getting interviews. It's only a matter of time.

When I was applying for jobs, One of the pop-ups was Jobseeker Premium by Linkedin. For a cost of $29.99 per month, they would put your resume and profile at the top of these list of every employer you signed up for. I read reviews, and most recruiters might find it annoying, but so do most audiences when advertisements pop up. It's just business. I thought, "Hey I'm serious about finding a job, I'll take that chance". 

I feel like this job searching in the one of the toughest state for jobs, is a challenge and a puzzle just waiting to be solved. Am I am up for the challenge. The economy will recover as real estate values in the state of California are increasing at exponential rates, mutual funds/stocks for companies are outperforming bonds. I'm going to be there when it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment